Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Cool Find: May 1-3

I go out each weekend in search of treasures, it's what I do. I find lots of things but each week I usually run across something that stands out, makes me smile, or really gets me excited about my love of the past. That doesn't always mean expensive or valuable, sometimes it's simply something I like. Take this weekend's offerings for instance, in all the items I found, a simple paperback book is my favorite. It's the Peter Max Paper Airplane Book

I'm not going to go on and on about Peter and his style, I dig it, that's all. It does point out something I've noticed about the late '60s and early '70s. There was this odd psychedelic interest in early 20th century vehicles, from bi-planes to automobiles. Snoopy flew his Sopwith Camel, Dr. Oldsmobile had a fictional group of characters like a turn-of-the-century race team, Daring & Magnificent Men flew and raced in the movies, and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang...um, chitty chitty bang banged. These all have one thing in common, they're all from one time period, but about another time period, with a bit of a hippy twist. This Paper Airplane book by Peter is just another example of this. Oh, we can't forget the Beatles took a trip on a Submarine too. I think it was yellow.

No comments:

Post a Comment